Norwich City Council - Property Information Point

Gas Safety

Gas Safety

What are my duties as a Landlord?

You have duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues which you own and have provided for your tenants use.

You must also arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed. A copy must also be issued to tenants before they move in.

What gas appliances am I responsible for?

Any gas appliance that you own and provide for the tenant’s use is included in your legal duties. If a tenant has their own gas appliances then you have responsibilities for parts of the associated pipe work but not for the actual appliance.

What if my tenant prevents access for a gas safety check?

A Landlord has to show that they took all reasonable steps. It is good practice to keep a record of correspondence with tenants. Up to three attempts is seen as reasonable but ultimately it is up to the Court to decide what is reasonable.

Do I need to provide tenants with a carbon monoxide alarm?

It is strongly recommended that carbon monoxide alarms are provided for tenants. Carbon monoxide alarms are a useful device to give tenants advanced warning of carbon monoxide in the property.

Remember Carbon monoxide alarms are not an alternative to annual gas safety inspections

Useful Links

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994

Gas Safety Fact Sheet

Gas Health and Safety Advice

Back to 'Gas, electric and fire safety page'


Back to the top of the page